Glass is solid material usually transparent or translucent. Glass has been made into decorative items since ancient times and is still very important. Glass is being used every day in our lives in building constructions, house wares, electronics, automobiles and much more. Anything that is made of glass looks elegant. Glass can be moulded into any shape size and color. The problem is when the glass cracks or breaks, the whole item can get destroyed and if the item was very close to our heart or gifted by a dear loved one we feel sad. And so, here comes the big decision to either do the repair by yourself or hire a professional to help you with the glass repairing. However, before you decide on repairing the glass by yourself it is important to remember that repairing takes a lot of effort, time and money. So, here are two points that will help you determine if you want to do it yourself-
- Easy to replace the glass instead of repairing: At times repairing a glass would be very difficult and even if you tried repairing it then the end result would not be as you desired. So, it is often better to check if the glass can be replaced because sometimes replacing the glass can be much cheaper than getting it repaired. It is worth replacing large glass items like a glass window, a glass table, a glass photo frame or even a glass mirror.
- Check the value of the glass: If a glass item that is very precious, rare or has a sentimental value attached to it, then repairing the glass is worthwhile if it is done in the right way.
Glass Repair That Can Be Done at Home:
With a little patience and skill, you will be able to repair certain glass at your home. Some of the items that can be easy to repair are – flower vase, drinking glasses, mementos or souvenirs and even small chips on glass shelves, table tops or even on windshields.
Instructions and Tools Required:
- Wear a pair of safety gloves to protect your hand from sharp edges.
- Clean the surface of the glass that needs to be repaired.
- Use the right adhesive or glue to repair the glass or you can buy a glass repair kit.
- Apply glue to the edges of the broken glass.
- Carefully attach the glass pieces together.
- Hold the pieces firmly together without shaking it.
- Clean the surface of any extra glue with a paper tissue or a soft cloth.
- Finally clamp the glass together and allow it to dry.
Glass Repair That Requires A Professional:
A large glass that is completely shattered or a windshield of a car that is cracked should be handled only by a skilled professional who is good at his job because to repair such a delicate and fragile glass requires a certain amount of skill, experience and right equipment too.
At home with the help of repair kits or a glue you can to some extent fix smaller glass items and also save a lot on money. Whereas when it comes to that large glass repair, then it is always good to find a trained hand to fix it. Professional help may cost you a little more but it’s worth your money and time. So, don’t despair – do the repair, just hop to the nearest store if you want to repair the glass by yourself or if you are looking for a high-quality service in and around your area then check out some specialists on the internet.